The Maytag models I'm talking about only have one release per side,
though that wasn't clear from the way I worded it. And I can't say if
it was better than the KA's way of doing it with two releases, because
I didn't see any KA's that were built that way in any of the stores I
visited. I did check the KA site, and from a quick look, it appears
the adjustable upper rack feature is in their units that list at $920
and up, which may be why I didn't see them. Maytag offers this feature
in units that list at $580.

My main point is that doing this with two easy and convenient releases
is so obvious, that the manufacturers that offer an unjustable upper
rack with four releases or two half assed ones must be pretty stupid,
as it's an easy thing to desing and do right.