Doug Miller

In article , (Charles H. Buchholtz) wrote:
Patrick ) wrote:
: I have always been puzzled by the fact that even though Alternating
: Current is delivered to a house, we consider one wire, usually the
: black wire, "hot" and white wire "neutral." Why is it that if the
: current is alternating through the house, that the black wire is
: considered the hot wire? It seems to me that if the same wire is always
: hot (when the current is flowing), the current is acting as direct
: current. If the current is alternating within the house, why wouldn't
: the black wire be hot on one cycle and the white wire by hot on the
: next/return cycle?

At one point in the cycle, the hot wire has a +120V potential, and the
neutral (and ground) wires are at 0, for a voltage differential of
120V. At the opposite point in the cycle, the hot wire has a -120V
potential, and the neutral (and ground) wires are at 0, for a voltage
differential of 120V "in the opposite direction".

Close but no cigar.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/power2.htm

But, if you
disconnect the hot from the neutral, it is safe to touch the neutral,

Like hell it is. If there's a load anywhere on the circuit, there *is* current
flowing through the neutral, and you *can* get shocked from it.

but not safe to touch the hot.

Got that part right, anyway...

--
Regards,