George

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Sure you don't mean "tits on a bull," or the less
common, "tits on a boar."

Sorry for the sarcasm, George, but an attempt to
paraphrase an old saw as an attempt at humor when
one use the wrong words always get my goat as much
as a person using big words that he doesn't
understand. Unfortunately "useless as tits on a
pig" doesn't make any more sense than "useless as
tits on a cow" or "useless as breasts on a human."
Mammaries on all of the above are not only
useful but highly desirable.

Nonetheless, the content of your comment is dead
on, or at least within 0.001 inch.

Well, I guess swine come in both sexes, only one of which is commonly used
as an example of non-utility. You missed what I though was an easily
apparent attempt at alliteration. Shows again that there are there are
usually a couple or more ways of doing things, and we follow our own
assumptions or experience. With a Combo square and a feeler, I'm checked
before they can attach the dial.

That said, I think the luan test is probably the most sensitive means of
determining the blade parallel to the groove. Take a piece of that nasty,
splintery peeled veneer luan, fix tightly to the miter gage and cross cut it
_through_ the blade. If the rear teeth pick up no splinters when cutting
from either side, you're nuts on regardless of what any third mechanical
device tells you.