mwlogs

I'd go with the sensor over the timer. With a timer, if you live in a area
that observes daylight savings, you will be needing to adjust the timer at
least twice a year, even more often as you 'follow the sunset' throughout
the year. You'll also have to reset it if power is off.

I took the sensor approach for my coach lights on my garage. I purchased a
sensor such as would go in a post lamp and mounted it in an exterior box up
under the eaves. At Lowes they sell a plate that is intended for use with
mounting a spot light (you buy the fixture separate from the plate). The
hole was just right for the sensor.

As for overriding it, I do have a switch to be able to turn the lights OFF
if I don't want them on, but I can't think of when I've ever wished they
were ON earlier or later than the sensor provides.

That said, one thought I'd had was to use a standard 3-way switch in a
somewhat unconventional manner.
Feed the 'hot' onto one screw. Then connect the sensor lead to one of the
others. Finally, using a 'jumper' from the 3rd screw that would 'jump' past
the connector and connect to the lead to the lamps. In this manner, when
the switch is toggled one way the current would flow thru the sensor and
bypass the jumper. Toggle the switch the other way and the current would
flow thru the jumper and bypass the sensor.

Hard to explain in words, but I think you can figure it out if you try
drawing it first.

Mark

"Ray" wrote in message
I planning on installing a light at each corner of a metal building in my
backyard. I would like the lights to come on at dusk and turn off at
daylight.

I know that there are light fixtures with photo sensors that will take
care
of this. But I was wondering if it would be better to put them on a timer.

If I recall correctly the photo sensors can be overridden at the switch in
the event one would want to turn them on before it's time.

Will a circuit with a timer in it allow me to overide and turn on the
lights
before it's time ??

If the timer route is an option, what type of timers are recommended ??

Thanks...