raden

In message .com,
writes
Lobster wrote:
Peter Parry wrote:
On 24 Mar 2005 10:19:31 -0800,
wrote:

the text on the papers tells me someone made those discs themselves
with some tool. But why collect them, why make them? For what?

As has been suggested - spacers for use by a tailor sewing buttons

on
to trousers and suits. Placing one of these between button and
fabric gives you a degree of stand-off which makes the button

easier
to fasten.

Seems the most plausible answer so far I agree; but if so why are

they
round? It would be much easier to cut square ones, which would do

just
the same job (Ok, unless the buttons were really clseo together!)

I'm not really convinced either. A hole doesnt stop the cloth lifting
up so its against the button, it wouldnt work I dont think. As said, a
needle or other matchlike device would work, but I dont think thick
card discs would. Also I got the impression these were only paper,
which would make them useless as spacers.

I've seen similar spacers for getting the action right on pianos -
usually placed under the felts

--
geoff