Bill H wrote:
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:21:23 +0000, pontarfynach
wrote:

Someone on b3ta found a wooden box. In it were lots of little bits

of
paper of various sizes, mostly circular. What the hell is it?

Pics here

http://www.identity.ie/whatsinthebox/

Anything to do with grinding wheels?
Looks a bit clean for engineers.

I wondered that, if you put nut washers and bolt on a stack of them you
get a paper wheel, which can be used for grinding and polishing. But
those wheels would be tiny, so would have to do high rpm to get
anywhere, and anything assembled that basically and run that fast would
vibrate like crazy. I know cos I've made wheels that run at 20,000 rpm,
and they do.

The other problem with that idea is IIRC there were several different
but near sizes: why would one want several wheels of close but not
identical sizes?

And the final q is, why did they cut the paper but not assemble the
wheels? And why are there no bolts nuts washers or collets in the box?

I bet theres some craft that uses these, we just dont know what. From
the fancy quality box it does look more craft than business to me.

NT