Rex B

pyotr filipivich wrote:
I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:39:42 GMT
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Except your sample is too small to scientifically make that
assumption. I worked at a place with a vapor degreaser. Me and another
guy were cleaning it out after all the solvent had been drained and
the unit left open to air a couple days. He went into the tank head
first. It was about 4 feet deep and laying at an angle so he only had
to bend over to get his hands to the bottom. He was nevertheless
overcome by a small amount of fumes in about 15 seconds. My job was to
stay outside and pull him out if something happened and it did. He
just stuck his head in and went limp a few seconds later. I had
breathed the solvent many times with no apparent harm. He just
happened to be sensitive to it. Still, after dragging him outside it
took a couple minutes before his breathing became regular.
Eric

Ive recently discovered Im sensitive to SafetyKleen solvent. I never
used to be.

There seems to be an "issue" with a lot of organic compounds, basically
as you say: you develop a sensitivity to the compound. People have been
working with latex gloves for years, then "one" day they pull on a pair and
go into shock.
Or penicillin, or solvents, or ... what ever.

Biochemistry is so weird, interesting and completely fascinating. Not
to mention something I don't understand beyond the superficial.

I agree. I never had a problem with VOCs or cigarette smoke. Smoked for
20 years, washed parts with gasoline barehanded (when I was yound and
stupid). Now any sort of VOC inhalation can trigger a weeklong illness
much like the flu, maybe bronchitis. Cigarette smoke has a similar
effect if I don't get away from it.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer