Gunner

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:49:51 -0600, Rex B wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Rex,

I think you covered it very well.

The local shops are in a race to the bottom.

As I said earlier, the consolidation of the industry is far from over.

The day the big box stores start selling gas is the day the local shops
are finished.

And before someone jumps in says it can't happen, you might want recall
how you used to have to buy propane and how you do now. Propane refills
are done this way now and the small propane companies are gone.

TMT

I dunno, I think a few local shops will survive in any market that has
some industry. Just like the local auto parts store, they can't keep
doing business like they did in the 1960's. They have to innovate,
diversify and provide outstanding service to take price out of the
equation, or at least move it down a couple notches. Some here have
already found stores like that in their local market.

In my little oil field town, 10 yrs ago, we had 5 welding supply
houses. All strong healthy businesses.

5 yrs ago, it was 3

Now its 1, and they are assholes. They think they have a lock on the
business now. And in some respects they do. Its 35 miles over to
Bakersfield, where there are quite a number of welding supply houses.
So if you need a tank exchange NOW, or perhaps some special rod
tommorow morning...

On the other hand..its Only 35 miles to Bakersfield where there is a
hell of a lot of choices, including the big box stores and Harbor
Freight.

The biggest issue with most welding supplies, is that they are open
only m-f. Only a few are open Saturday until noon.

I suspect if Home Despot started doing tank exchanges...it would dig
into the profit margins of the dealers to a small extent, but it would
only be for the home user. My area, there is about 2 welding machines
in every block..but most others...shrug...

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael