Gunner

On 25 Mar 2005 08:35:55 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress says...

I've swear I've seen one lifting off from the roadside with
a poodle-sized bundle in the talons.

Heh, I've never noticed them being hit, but I've seen red-tails fly along
just off the ground with their prey for a long distance. The sharp-shinned
that hangs out in my neighborhood does that, too, with baby squirrels and
mice.

They have a couple of animals for display purposes at Teatown Reservation,
near here - ones that have been dinged by cars on the parkway, and
cannot be released back into the wild. Apparently that's a common
failure mode, they're quite alert when coming *in* on the prey, but
once they score, their focus kind of narrows down and often will
fly down low across the roadway and get hit by a car.

Jim

If one is ever in the Bakersfield California area, the California
Living Museum may be of interest.

http://www.artcom.com/Museums/newones/93306.htm

Lots of local animals, the raptors and reptiles, mammals and whatnot
found in the high desert. Many of which were injured and brought there
to live

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael