jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

I've swear I've seen one lifting off from the roadside with
a poodle-sized bundle in the talons.

Heh, I've never noticed them being hit, but I've seen red-tails fly along
just off the ground with their prey for a long distance. The sharp-shinned
that hangs out in my neighborhood does that, too, with baby squirrels and
mice.

They have a couple of animals for display purposes at Teatown Reservation,
near here - ones that have been dinged by cars on the parkway, and
cannot be released back into the wild. Apparently that's a common
failure mode, they're quite alert when coming *in* on the prey, but
once they score, their focus kind of narrows down and often will
fly down low across the roadway and get hit by a car.

Jim

please reply to: