Too_Many_Tools

While I respect your opinion Steve, my experience parallels others.

The local shops are refusing to compete on pricing and the support is
not what you suggest it is.

I tried ALL the shops in my area when I was shopping for multiple
welders AND I was willing to pay extra for local support after the
sale.

They weren't even close nor would they consider adjusting their prices
when asked.

This attitude cost them thousands of dollars in lost sales to this
customer.

As for service after the sale if they are a authorized Lincoln or
Miller depot and they refuse to service an in warranty machine, they
won't be an authorized depot for much longer.

The reality is that anyone can buy a name brand welder like Miller or
Lincoln on Ebay for cheaper than they can get it locally.

The product is drop shipped from the factory and is fully warranteed.

If you have a problem with the welder, the local factory authorized
depot has to service it.

Between the Internet sales eating into the higher end product sales and
the big box stores selling the low end product, the local shops are in
a big squeeze. You can see in the increased price of consumables and
gas where they are getting their profits.

I believe the downside to this is in the future we will see fewer and
fewer local places that will be repair centers and as the industry
consolidation continues, fewer places to get gases. As for the later, I
am waiting for places like Home Depot and Lowes to offer gas refills in
the future.

TMT