Doug Miller

In article , Dave Morrison wrote:

I've commented about this before, most of the time your way will work
but a newbie is more likely to screw up heating the fitting only.
If the interior pipe is not up to temp the solder will not amalgamate
with the pipe. The result is a weak joint and sooner or later a leak.

Which is exactly why you heat the fitting, and apply the solder to the pipe.
If the pipe isn't hot enough, the solder won't melt, and you keep heating.
Nothing difficult about that...

My formal training comes from a Carrier Corp. factory training class,
with an instructor who spent years on their condenser assembly line.
To sum up the two days I spent on this part of the training.
Use plenty of torch, start heating the pipe, keep the torch moving,
when the pipe is hot move the torch onto the fitting and use the flame
to draw the solder into the fitting.
Your way may be easier but it's not better.

Easier *is* better. :-)
Dave

--
Regards,