Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

... but they actually do most of their hunting like
goshawks, swooping upon prey on the ground, or chasing it down.

That's how they get hit, alongside the taconic parkway. Once
they've snagged something they don't always watch on the climb
out.

I've swear I've seen one lifting off from the roadside with
a poodle-sized bundle in the talons.

Heh, I've never noticed them being hit, but I've seen red-tails fly along
just off the ground with their prey for a long distance. The sharp-shinned
that hangs out in my neighborhood does that, too, with baby squirrels and
mice.

That is one eerie hawk, BTW. He swoops in, dead silent, like a ghost.
Sometimes you wonder if you actually saw him. Then he appears sitting on the
lowest branches of a tree, looking around.

--
Ed Huntress