Jag Man

Steve,

One thing I ran across in some discussion here (as I recall) that
you may want to think about. If the attic has electrical wires
in it like mine, putting stairs up there may put you out
of code compliance. Wires can be exposed if the attic is
only accessible via a ladder. If there is are stairs, the
wires have to be covered. Or at least that's what I
believe I read here. No expert.

Ed

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a split level house. 1 level in the front with 2 levels in

the back.
I have acces to attic space above the front level but to get into

the attic
above the back half of the house I have to go into the front half

attic and
squeeze between the roof rafters.
I used to be able to do this but over the years the space between

the
rafters seems to have gotten smaller!!!

I have to get in there to take care of a few things. Whats the best

way to
create access?
I'm thinking of putting one of those pull down starways into the

upstairs
hallway????
How do I know if its safe to cut through the rafters??? The stairs

would be
going against the rafters not with them so I would have to cut

through 5 - 7
rafters??? Is this a problem?

2nd choice is adding a large vent on the side of the house that is

on
hinges. I could use a ladder, unpadlock the vent, swing it open and

crawl in
the opening.

Any advice welcome!!!!!

TIA