Steve

Default Adding a pull down stair to access the attic????

I have a split level house. 1 level in the front with 2 levels in the back.
I have acces to attic space above the front level but to get into the attic
above the back half of the house I have to go into the front half attic and
squeeze between the roof rafters.
I used to be able to do this but over the years the space between the
rafters seems to have gotten smaller!!!

I have to get in there to take care of a few things. Whats the best way to
create access?
I'm thinking of putting one of those pull down starways into the upstairs
hallway????
How do I know if its safe to cut through the rafters??? The stairs would be
going against the rafters not with them so I would have to cut through 5 - 7
rafters??? Is this a problem?

2nd choice is adding a large vent on the side of the house that is on
hinges. I could use a ladder, unpadlock the vent, swing it open and crawl in
the opening.

Any advice welcome!!!!!

TIA

Steve

Colbyt

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm thinking of putting one of those pull down starways into the upstairs
hallway????
How do I know if its safe to cut through the rafters??? The stairs would

be
going against the rafters not with them so I would have to cut through 5 -

7
rafters??? Is this a problem?

Never cut more than one joist and then you have to know how to create the
proper headers for the one you cut. If you can't find a spot where the
length of the pulldown runs with the joists you are most likely going to
have to find another option.

I will add that there is a small possibility since this is in a hall that it
can be done but it is going to take a pro looking at it to determine if
those hall walls are suitably supported under the floor and can carry the
load. Based on your questions you will not be able to make that
determination.

BTW, I share your pain. There are a lot of places I used to fit into that I
no longer do.)))

Colbyt

steve

If you can't find a spot where the
length of the pulldown runs with the joists you are most likely going to
have to find another option.

thats what I susspected!

thanks

Jag Man

Steve,

One thing I ran across in some discussion here (as I recall) that
you may want to think about. If the attic has electrical wires
in it like mine, putting stairs up there may put you out
of code compliance. Wires can be exposed if the attic is
only accessible via a ladder. If there is are stairs, the
wires have to be covered. Or at least that's what I
believe I read here. No expert.

Ed

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

dadiOH

Steve wrote:
I have a split level house. 1 level in the front with 2 levels in the
back. I have acces to attic space above the front level but to get
into the attic above the back half of the house I have to go into the
front half attic and squeeze between the roof rafters.
I used to be able to do this but over the years the space between the
rafters seems to have gotten smaller!!!

I have to get in there to take care of a few things. Whats the best
way to create access?
I'm thinking of putting one of those pull down starways into the
upstairs hallway????
How do I know if its safe to cut through the rafters??? The stairs
would be going against the rafters not with them so I would have to
cut through 5 - 7 rafters??? Is this a problem?

Only if you want your roof to stay where it is; i.e., up.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

mold problem need advice batticdoor Home Ownership 0 December 25th 04 04:46 PM
Bleach Bombs for Attic Mold (was Roof Problems in Cold Weather) tioga 0630 Home Repair 17 December 25th 04 04:45 PM
Attic mold Joe Home Ownership 3 December 25th 04 04:42 PM
Insulating attic stair and whole-house fan openings batticdoor Home Repair 0 December 25th 04 04:36 PM
No access to loft space. Mike Hibbert UK diy 4 August 31st 03 07:19 PM