Mark and Kim Smith

BF wrote:

I have an old wood fence that finally died in the usual fashion -- the
posts rotted at the base and broke. Part of the fence is on concrete
slab, and I was wondering if it is possible to extract the broken-off
part of the posts from the existing post holes, and set the new posts
in the same holes? Or will I need to do some demolition work on the
slab and set the new posts in new concrete?

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

As others have mentioned, I'm to the point of filling the void with
concrete. Then I make a 5' post out of 1/8"wall, 2" square tubing with
a 1/4" plate at the bottom to form a "T". I drill two holes in the "T"
plate. I drill two holes in the concrete and set the post in with two
3/8" x 4" anchors. If the post ever rusts through, I just unbolt the
anchors and bolt new posts in. Maybe every 30 years or so. Fence wood,
tubafors, get bolted to the posts and provide the basis for nailing the
rest of the fence to. VERY solid! I just did the fence ( right side of
the picture ) this way. http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond148.jpg