BF

Default wood fence -- reuse post holes in concrete?

I have an old wood fence that finally died in the usual fashion -- the
posts rotted at the base and broke. Part of the fence is on concrete
slab, and I was wondering if it is possible to extract the broken-off
part of the posts from the existing post holes, and set the new posts
in the same holes? Or will I need to do some demolition work on the
slab and set the new posts in new concrete?

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

Joseph Meehan

BF wrote:
I have an old wood fence that finally died in the usual fashion -- the
posts rotted at the base and broke. Part of the fence is on concrete
slab, and I was wondering if it is possible to extract the broken-off
part of the posts from the existing post holes, and set the new posts
in the same holes? Or will I need to do some demolition work on the
slab and set the new posts in new concrete?

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

There is no good way of doing this.

BTW, while it depends on the area, it may be better and result in longer
lasting post to not use concrete and put the post directly in the ground.
Concrete sometimes traps more moisture and caused post rot.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Harry K

Joseph Meehan wrote:
BF wrote:
[...]

It is possible but... Start by digging out any remains of the rotted
posts. You will then have to use undersized, or trimmed to undersize,
posts. Lot of work and you will wind up with loose posts unless you
can find some type of filler that will set up solid. Better would be
to use post anchors in the holes (if they will fit) set in fresh
concrete. If they won't fit, use metal pipe (again set in concrete)
and face them with boards.

Harry K

HeyBub

Harry K wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
BF wrote:
[...]

Second. Dig out the wood. Put in a metal post. Add more concrete.

The problem disappears. Forever.

Joseph Meehan

Harry K wrote:

It is possible but... Start by digging out any remains of the rotted
posts. You will then have to use undersized, or trimmed to undersize,
posts. Lot of work and you will wind up with loose posts unless you
can find some type of filler that will set up solid. Better would be
to use post anchors

Post Anchors. I had not thought of that. I suppose if I had good solid
concrete anchors, that might be a very good idea.

in the holes (if they will fit) set in fresh
concrete. If they won't fit, use metal pipe (again set in concrete)
and face them with boards.

Harry K

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Fred

"BF" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old wood fence that finally died in the usual fashion -- the
posts rotted at the base and broke. Part of the fence is on concrete
slab, and I was wondering if it is possible to extract the broken-off
part of the posts from the existing post holes, and set the new posts
in the same holes? Or will I need to do some demolition work on the
slab and set the new posts in new concrete?

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

I've done it a couple of times. Its a lot of work removing the rotted post
down 2 feet and then trimming the post base matching the existing hole.

If I had to do it over again I would do the demolition big enough for a post
hole digger and then back fill with gravel or stone dust and top off with 4"
concrete. This way you could replace the post in the future with ease just
by breaking up the top layer of concrete.

Dave Solly

"Fred" wrote in :

"BF" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The last time I did this I swore that I would never do it again. I
replaced all my posts with metal ones. Never again.

Dave
Fred

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote in :

"BF" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Cool! How did you tie the wood to the metal posts or is the rest of the
fence metal too?

Philip Lewis

"Fred" writes:
Cool! How did you tie the wood to the metal posts or is the rest of the
fence metal too?

What about filling the hole with concrete and installing one of those
surface mount post holders that keep the wood out of sitting moisture?

I'd think that'd be the best route to take.

--
be safe.
flip

Dave Solly

"Fred" wrote in :

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote in :

"BF" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The metal posts are about 2 inches in diameter. There are metal clamps
that go around the posts that are screwed to horzional 2X3s or 2X4s. You
screw or nail the vertical planks of the fence to the 2X3s or 2X4s. You
can get all this stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. They also have caps for
the metal posts to finish off the tops of the posts.

Dave

Fred

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
"Fred" writes:
Cool! How did you tie the wood to the metal posts or is the rest of the
fence metal too?

What about filling the hole with concrete and installing one of those
surface mount post holders that keep the wood out of sitting moisture?

I'd think that'd be the best route to take.

--
be safe.
flip
Remove origin of the word spam from address to reply (leave "+")

This would be good on vertical loads but no good on side to side forces -
one good wind gust will bring the fence down.

I went to a home and garden show a few weeks ago and they had the 2' long
pvc sleeves where you slip the 4x4 post into it. You bury and encase the pvc
sleeve in concrete and if the post ever breaks you just pull it out and
insert a new one.

Walter E.

I had the same problem. Replaced the wooden posts with 2" metal posts. Since
the wood in the concrete has rotted away, the posts can be hammered into the
old holes. Took up the slack in the old concrete supports with small
pebbles.

--

Walter

--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

"BF" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old wood fence that finally died in the usual fashion -- the
posts rotted at the base and broke. Part of the fence is on concrete
slab, and I was wondering if it is possible to extract the broken-off
part of the posts from the existing post holes, and set the new posts
in the same holes? Or will I need to do some demolition work on the
slab and set the new posts in new concrete?

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

remove old wood and drive the new posts in with a maul. if either bit
loose tap in a few pressure treated wedges. i did this 9 years ago and
they are still solid. and when these go i'll repeat it.

Mark and Kim Smith

BF wrote:

I have an old wood fence that finally died in the usual fashion -- the
posts rotted at the base and broke. Part of the fence is on concrete
slab, and I was wondering if it is possible to extract the broken-off
part of the posts from the existing post holes, and set the new posts
in the same holes? Or will I need to do some demolition work on the
slab and set the new posts in new concrete?

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

As others have mentioned, I'm to the point of filling the void with
concrete. Then I make a 5' post out of 1/8"wall, 2" square tubing with
a 1/4" plate at the bottom to form a "T". I drill two holes in the "T"
plate. I drill two holes in the concrete and set the post in with two
3/8" x 4" anchors. If the post ever rusts through, I just unbolt the
anchors and bolt new posts in. Maybe every 30 years or so. Fence wood,
tubafors, get bolted to the posts and provide the basis for nailing the
rest of the fence to. VERY solid! I just did the fence ( right side of
the picture ) this way. http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond148.jpg
BF

I'd like to thank everyone for all the great advice. One other thing
-- what's the best way to go about getting the wood out of the hole if
I go that route?

Thanks,
Rick

Fred

"BF" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd like to thank everyone for all the great advice. One other thing
-- what's the best way to go about getting the wood out of the hole if
I go that route?

Thanks,
Rick

Breaker hammer would make fast work out of it. Rotary hammer would work too
but will take longer. Either break off the concrete all around of just the
wood. http://www.toolup.com/CategorySearchxaxNodexbx2832.html

Or use a long pry bar and pointed digging bar.
http://www.barcotools.com/Barco%20Catalog%20P4.pdf Once you hit solid wood,
sometimes, if you're so lucky, you could pull out the bottom section by
hand. If its wedged solid, then break it apart with a digging bar. If you
could screw in a very long lag bolt on top of the good wood, then you could
pull the rest out with a car jack, winch or engine hoist.

BF

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Rick