Colbyt

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm thinking of putting one of those pull down starways into the upstairs
hallway????
How do I know if its safe to cut through the rafters??? The stairs would

be
going against the rafters not with them so I would have to cut through 5 -

7
rafters??? Is this a problem?

Never cut more than one joist and then you have to know how to create the
proper headers for the one you cut. If you can't find a spot where the
length of the pulldown runs with the joists you are most likely going to
have to find another option.

I will add that there is a small possibility since this is in a hall that it
can be done but it is going to take a pro looking at it to determine if
those hall walls are suitably supported under the floor and can carry the
load. Based on your questions you will not be able to make that
determination.

BTW, I share your pain. There are a lot of places I used to fit into that I
no longer do.)))

Colbyt