Steve

Default Adding a pull down stair to access the attic????

I have a split level house. 1 level in the front with 2 levels in the back.
I have acces to attic space above the front level but to get into the attic
above the back half of the house I have to go into the front half attic and
squeeze between the roof rafters.
I used to be able to do this but over the years the space between the
rafters seems to have gotten smaller!!!

I have to get in there to take care of a few things. Whats the best way to
create access?
I'm thinking of putting one of those pull down starways into the upstairs
hallway????
How do I know if its safe to cut through the rafters??? The stairs would be
going against the rafters not with them so I would have to cut through 5 - 7
rafters??? Is this a problem?

2nd choice is adding a large vent on the side of the house that is on
hinges. I could use a ladder, unpadlock the vent, swing it open and crawl in
the opening.

Any advice welcome!!!!!

TIA

Steve