Dave Solly

"Fred" wrote in :

"BF" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old wood fence that finally died in the usual fashion -- the
posts rotted at the base and broke. Part of the fence is on concrete
slab, and I was wondering if it is possible to extract the broken-off
part of the posts from the existing post holes, and set the new posts
in the same holes? Or will I need to do some demolition work on the
slab and set the new posts in new concrete?

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

I've done it a couple of times. Its a lot of work removing the rotted
post down 2 feet and then trimming the post base matching the existing
hole.

If I had to do it over again I would do the demolition big enough for
a post hole digger and then back fill with gravel or stone dust and
top off with 4" concrete. This way you could replace the post in the
future with ease just by breaking up the top layer of concrete.

The last time I did this I swore that I would never do it again. I
replaced all my posts with metal ones. Never again.

Dave