Mary Fisher

Default Different honeys

"John Rouse" wrote in message
In article , Mary
Fisher writes

You need to know far, far more ... that was just SOME of the stuff about
honey. But thanks anyway. If you really do want to think about keeping

bees
get in touch with me, I probably know people who'll be able to help you

get
started. You shouldn't jump in without lots of consideration.

By far the best way to start. Someone turns up with a swarm, you borrow
a couple of boxes and a few frames and you're on your way. If you
thought about it, you'd never do it.

I disagree. I think that to be a responsible beekeeper you need to know at
least the basics before you start. Honeybees are animals and need good
husbandry like all stock.

Joining a local bee-keepers' society is essential though

I agree. And attend as many lectures, conferences and courses as you can.

- put two
beekeepers together and you have three opinions, but many of them have
been doing it for donkey's years and know all the tricks

Oh no they don't. They just think they do.

- most of which
involve leaving the bees to get on with it. Bees have been doing it
themselves for 60 million years,

Longer ...

so its quite difficult to put them off.

But it's easy for bees not to thrive in the artificial situation we put
them into. If we want to manage them - or any animal or process - we should
do it with the best knoweldge possible.

Mary

J.
--