Boots

it is surface rust. Someone told me the acid they use to
clean brick will clean it. (can't think of the acid?)
"Guess who" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:40:44 -0600, "Boots"
wrote:

I just found an old Stanly plane that I have had for a long
time and it has some rust on it. What is the best way to
remove the rust? I would like to use the plane again

Just be sure the blade's out etc.. :-)

It's pretty tough metal, and depends on the amount of rust.
Is it
pitted, or just surface? I've cleaned up planes really
nicely using
emery cloth and elbow grease. If really rusty, but not too
pitted I
start with a coarser grain, even an old flat sharpening
stone that
will wear a lot faster than the metal. I've had some good
results,
and even did one about 14" long [?] ...not sure, a long time
back. It
had grooves along the bottom. I even repainted it, then
gave it to a
person who is a fine old-time cabinet maker who had a better
use for
it than I did. He still uses it.