George

Or, you could buy $1.99 worth of "objectivity" in the form of a set of
feeler gages. Then you could write to the rec, and tell how far(close) you
were instead of correcting what did poor work and leaving what did good
alone.

But then Ed wouldn't make any bux....

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Phil,

Yep, this is what I call a traditional "feel the rub" or "hear the
scrape" method. It does work and some people are pretty darn good at
it. Personally, I find it to be pretty frustrating and tedius because
it's very subjective. Which end rubs (or scrapes) more than the other?
Back and forth over and over until you think you're convinced that
it's right. I prefer to just look at the dial on an indicator and see
exactly what is going on without any doubt or question. For me,
nothing can beat an objective reading on a dial indicator. And, since
one can easily be put on a stick for less than $20, it's hard for me to
justify spending a bunch of time on a subjective method. But, I value
my time differently than others. You might decide that saving $20 is
well worth the investment in time.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner!

PS: Ask Charlie where he put his money!

wrote:
Charlie Self told me a quick and CHEAP way to align my TS blade.

Here
goes:

1. Screw a board (I used a one foot section of tubafore) to your

miter
gauge.
2. Mark a tooth on the blade (I used a piece of masking tape).
3. Put the miter gauge in the slot and raise the blade all the way

up.
4. Screw a screw partway into the end of the 2x4 so that it just
touches the tooth you marked on the blade on the front side.
5. Move the miter gauge to the back side and rotate the blade so

that
your same tooth (the one you marked with tape) is right there next to
the screw. If it drags or doesn't touch, you need to adjust the

table.

I'm sure your $150 table saw alignment tool is good for other stuff
too, but I got within .001" with a wood scrap and 3 drywall screws.

ain't saying, I'm just saying.

-Phil Crow