Gunner

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:55:39 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

SNIP

Of course not Harold. But you were implying that the health risks from
certain solvents were minimal because neither you or the people you
knew were apparently harmed by it. Applying your logic, exaggerated a
little, to your friend with kidney failure, led to my statement. So,
as you can see, I was being a little sarcastic. About both of your
statements. Whew!
Cheers, Harold

I figured you missed the point, and you did.

I guess what I should have told the OP was that he had but a short time to
live, because there are cases on file that are well documented where people
have suffered and died from the same type exposures. In some instances,
they grew three eyes and a couple extra legs.

This person is worrying about dying because he happened to sniff some
chemicals a time or two. Being prudent, I provided a couple extreme
examples of experiences I've had, in my mind, enough to put his mind at
ease. Drawing from a group of over 100 machinists, there are none
suffering from exposure at this point in time, and the exposure was severe.
That's not to say that some won't have trouble, but if severe exposure has
not brought forth any health issues over such a long period of time, a case
of simple exposure on occasion is highly unlikely too. Get it, Eric?

If you think for even one moment that I feel the use of solvents is
harmless, you're nothing short of nuts! I'm concerned each and every time
I use anything as common as paint thinner. On the other hand, I also
realize that to try to do the things I have to do and not use such
substances is absurd. We face certain risks each and every day, simply
by being alive. Prudent people do the best they can to avoid the
hazards, but they don't quit living to do so.

Harold

Except your sample is too small to scientifically make that
assumption. I worked at a place with a vapor degreaser. Me and another
guy were cleaning it out after all the solvent had been drained and
the unit left open to air a couple days. He went into the tank head
first. It was about 4 feet deep and laying at an angle so he only had
to bend over to get his hands to the bottom. He was nevertheless
overcome by a small amount of fumes in about 15 seconds. My job was to
stay outside and pull him out if something happened and it did. He
just stuck his head in and went limp a few seconds later. I had
breathed the solvent many times with no apparent harm. He just
happened to be sensitive to it. Still, after dragging him outside it
took a couple minutes before his breathing became regular.
Eric

Ive recently discovered Im sensitive to SafetyKleen solvent. I never
used to be.

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael