George E. Cawthon

The Chairman wrote:
So, I have brackets for shelves, and I want to get wood stock (oak, poplar,
pine, whatever it is as long as I can stain it to match the wood in the
room) for the shelves.

I have been having a problem finding wood that is truly 1" thick. As you
know, 1 x 12's are actually 3/4" thick. Does anyone know of a supplier that
I might be able to get 1x12s that are actually 1" thick?

Or, if not, anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

Why do you need 1" thick? Most shelves are made
of 3/4" thick material. 1" soft wood is actually
3/4" and surfaced 4/4 hardwood is 13/16" thick.
3/4" plywood is 3/4" thick. If you keep supports
to 30" intervals or less, any of the above will be
fine and not sag. If you really need 1" thick
material buy 5/4 hardwood.

BTW, a 1 x12 won't be 12" wide either!