The Chairman

Default True 1" thick 1 x 12's?

So, I have brackets for shelves, and I want to get wood stock (oak, poplar,
pine, whatever it is as long as I can stain it to match the wood in the
room) for the shelves.

I have been having a problem finding wood that is truly 1" thick. As you
know, 1 x 12's are actually 3/4" thick. Does anyone know of a supplier that
I might be able to get 1x12s that are actually 1" thick?

Or, if not, anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan
RicodJour

The Chairman wrote:
So, I have brackets for shelves, and I want to get wood stock (oak,

poplar,
pine, whatever it is as long as I can stain it to match the wood in

the
room) for the shelves.

I have been having a problem finding wood that is truly 1" thick. As

you
know, 1 x 12's are actually 3/4" thick. Does anyone know of a

supplier that
I might be able to get 1x12s that are actually 1" thick?

Ask for "five quarters" (5/4 x 12). Any lumberyard and almost all home
centers will carry it. If you're looking for clear wood, it won't be
cheap. In similar situations I'll double up on some 3/4" plywood and
glue a solid piece of wood on the front edge.

The Chairman

"RicodJour" wrote in
oups.com:

Ask for "five quarters" (5/4 x 12). Any lumberyard and almost all home
centers will carry it. If you're looking for clear wood, it won't be
cheap. In similar situations I'll double up on some 3/4" plywood and
glue a solid piece of wood on the front edge.

Thanks, I'll try that. Forgive my ignorance, but is plywood also subject to
this same phenomena? IE: is 3/4" actually 1/2"? Because you said you'd
double up on 3/4 ply? Wouldn't that be 1.5"?

George E. Cawthon

The Chairman wrote:
So, I have brackets for shelves, and I want to get wood stock (oak, poplar,
pine, whatever it is as long as I can stain it to match the wood in the
room) for the shelves.

I have been having a problem finding wood that is truly 1" thick. As you
know, 1 x 12's are actually 3/4" thick. Does anyone know of a supplier that
I might be able to get 1x12s that are actually 1" thick?

Or, if not, anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

Why do you need 1" thick? Most shelves are made
of 3/4" thick material. 1" soft wood is actually
3/4" and surfaced 4/4 hardwood is 13/16" thick.
3/4" plywood is 3/4" thick. If you keep supports
to 30" intervals or less, any of the above will be
fine and not sag. If you really need 1" thick
material buy 5/4 hardwood.

BTW, a 1 x12 won't be 12" wide either!
The Chairman

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
:

The Chairman wrote:
[...]

Yeah, good question. The brackets that the wife bought slip over the end
of the shelves, kind of like a towel bar or something like that. Good
point about the 12s not really being 12... shoot. Maybe I need to just
buy the 1" plywood, and veneer the front with a strip of real wood.

Edwin Pawlowski

"The Chairman" wrote in message

Yeah, good question. The brackets that the wife bought slip over the end
of the shelves, kind of like a towel bar or something like that. Good
point about the 12s not really being 12... shoot. Maybe I need to just
buy the 1" plywood, and veneer the front with a strip of real wood.

Even 1" plywood is going to be hard to find. As for a full 1 x 12", if you
can find them, it is going to cost $4 or more per linear foot. Very few
boards are that width. I'd look at using different brackets. 3/4" is much
more common and easier to find in the species you want.

In a bookshelf, the front edge is usually the only part visible so trimming
plywood is a better way.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

The Chairman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Hyx0e.10379$ZB6.4672
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

I'd look at using different brackets. 3/4" is much
more common and easier to find in the species you want.

Dang. That's what it is looking like. Ikea has some crappy veneer particle
board shelves designed for these brackets, but I wanted to avoid them. I'll
look for something similar online, maybe I can replace the ones that I
have.

I did find 1" plywood near me... I'll have to check it out and choose.

Thanks,

Ryan
The Chairman

The Chairman wrote in
.130:

Good
point about the 12s not really being 12... shoot.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I forgot that I have to rip the material
to 11" anyway to fit in the brackets! That's why...

Ryan
Doug Miller

In article , The Chairman wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that. Forgive my ignorance, but is plywood also subject to
this same phenomena? IE: is 3/4" actually 1/2"?

The reason that a two-by-four, for example, is actually 1.5" x 3.5" is that
it's rough-sawn at the mill to 2" x 4". Then it shrinks some as it dries.
Finally, it's planed smooth, which reduces it to the finished size of 1.5" x
3.5".

This obviously isn't the case with plywood.

However... some years back, a bean counter working for one of the plywood
manufacturers figured out that they could get about three percent more plywood
sheets from the same amount of raw material by reducing the thickness
slightly. Nominal 3/4" plywood is usually 23/32" thick. Nominal 1/2" plywood
is usually 15/32". And you can't depend on nominal 1/4" plywood being
anywhere even close to 1/4" -- I've seen some that's _less_than_ 3/16" being
sold as "quarter-inch".

Having said that, if you sandwich two pieces of nominal 3/4" plywood together,
the result will be close to 1.5", but not exactly, more like 1 7/16".

--
Regards,

G Henslee

The Chairman wrote:
Maybe I need to just
buy the 1" plywood, and veneer the front with a strip of real wood.

Cheaper to laminate 2 pieces of 1/2" ply.

Bob G.

I did find 1" plywood near me... I'll have to check it out and choose.

Thanks,

Ryan

================
Just curious ....

Where do you live... Honestly I have NEVER seen 1 inch thick Plywood
I will admit that I never looked since I do not use sheetgoods all
that much .. LOL

Bob Griffiths
HeyBub

The Chairman wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Hyx0e.10379$ZB6.4672
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

I'd look at using different brackets. 3/4" is much
more common and easier to find in the species you want.

Dang. That's what it is looking like. Ikea has some crappy veneer
particle board shelves designed for these brackets, but I wanted to
avoid them. I'll look for something similar online, maybe I can
replace the ones that I have.

I did find 1" plywood near me... I'll have to check it out and choose.

Get 2"x12". Plane the plank down to whatever thickness you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=258

HerHusband

So, I have brackets for shelves, and I want to get wood stock (oak,
poplar, pine, whatever it is as long as I can stain it to match the
wood in the room) for the shelves.
I have been having a problem finding wood that is truly 1" thick. As
you know, 1 x 12's are actually 3/4" thick. Does anyone know of a
supplier that I might be able to get 1x12s that are actually 1"
thick?
Or, if not, anyone have any other ideas?

If you have a planer, just buy regular 2x12's (1.5" x 11.25") and plane
them down to whatever thickness you need. If you really need 12" depth, you
could edge glue a 2x6 and 2x8 together, rip to 12" width, then plane to
thickness. Easy to do, but takes some time, clamps, and an assortment of
power tools. I recently did this myself to build a shelf out of recycled
2x6 redwood deck boards.

As long as you use kiln-dried lumber, even construction grade boards can
be made to look fairly nice. Apply some MinWax "wood preconditioner"
(helps stain go on evenly), stain whatever color you wish, and apply the
finish.

The brackets that the wife bought slip over the end
of the shelves, kind of like a towel bar

The other posters recommendation of using plywood could also work nicely.
However, rather than trying to find 1" plywood, I would use two sheets of
1/2" plywood glued back to back. Plywood generally has a "good" side and a
"bad" side. Using two sheets would let the good faces show on both sides.
1/2" ply is also easier to find that 1" ply. Then band the edges with a
strip of solid wood. Poplar is popular...

Because 1/2" ply is not exactly 1/2" thick, your shelves will be slightly
less than 1" thick, but probably close enough for the application?

Anthony
Philip Lewis

HerHusband writes:
However, rather than trying to find 1" plywood, I would use two sheets of
1/2" plywood glued back to back. Plywood generally has a "good" side and a

And if you have longer spans, consider using 1/4" sandwiched
around 1/2" thick strips. The resulting board will be stronger and
lighter according to everything I've read on the matter.
(read up about "stressed/streched skin platforms")

--
be safe.
flip

G Henslee

HeyBub wrote:
The Chairman wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Hyx0e.10379$ZB6.4672
:

I'd look at using different brackets. 3/4" is much
more common and easier to find in the species you want.

Dang. That's what it is looking like. Ikea has some crappy veneer
particle board shelves designed for these brackets, but I wanted to
avoid them. I'll look for something similar online, maybe I can
replace the ones that I have.

I did find 1" plywood near me... I'll have to check it out and choose.

Get 2"x12". Plane the plank down to whatever thickness you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=258

Yep. Use it once and sell it on eBay.

Hey why stop there? Plenty of wood out there, buy one of these and go
get it.
http://www.equipfind.com/logging/200...m-Delimber.htm

rnr_construction

"Bob G." wrote in message

I did find 1" plywood near me... I'll have to check it out and choose.

Thanks,

Ryan

================
Just curious ....

Where do you live... Honestly I have NEVER seen 1 inch thick Plywood
I will admit that I never looked since I do not use sheetgoods all
that much .. LOL

Bob Griffiths
.

Hmmm I dont think I have seen 1 inch ply either.
But I have seen plenty of 1 1/8 plywood its the commen size of concrete
forms

xrongor

sure would be much easier just go give up on this purist idea that you need
1" thick shelves...

if you want them to LOOK like they are 1" thick, put a rim around it.

randy

"The Chairman" wrote in message
.130...
So, I have brackets for shelves, and I want to get wood stock (oak,
poplar,
pine, whatever it is as long as I can stain it to match the wood in the
room) for the shelves.

I have been having a problem finding wood that is truly 1" thick. As you
know, 1 x 12's are actually 3/4" thick. Does anyone know of a supplier
that
I might be able to get 1x12s that are actually 1" thick?

Or, if not, anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

G Henslee

xrongor wrote:
sure would be much easier just go give up on this purist idea that you need
1" thick shelves...

if you want them to LOOK like they are 1" thick, put a rim around it.

There does seem to be a bit of overkill in this thread. But you can't
say the OP didn't get some options! )

What a great group.