Andy Hall

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:29:39 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

That's true - but just because something's cheap doesn't mean it going to be
dangerous. By the same token, just because an item is expensive it can't be
guaranteed to be safe.

Of course. True both ways. However, having seen air tools at both
ends of the market, I simply wouldn't even think about going for
anything less than the best build quality. I don't think that you
can put a monetary value on eyes and fingers.

However, I have seen the results of mechanical failure of a cheap air
nailer. Pieces embedded in the wall that could easily have been
embedded in the user. It was quite frightening.

That says something about the operator, doesn't it?

Fortunately he was using the tool correctly and fortunately he was
wearing safety glasses...

Compressed air and compressed air tools are very useful - I have an
airline system installed in my workshop and quite a collection of air
tools. There is a huge difference in build quality between these
£20 jobs and a good quality one like a Senco. The latter will cost
around £100, but I simply don't think it's worth the risk of skimping
where compressed air is concerned.

Have you seen, handled and examined the one in question? You might be
surprised.

I might be, but I doubt it. I looked at quite a number of different
labels of 16 and 18 gauge nailers a few months ago. As far as I
could make out, the entry level ones appear to be from two different
sources, almost certainly in the far east. Other than that, they were
identical.

Perhaps this supermarket has a different source, but either way simple
economics dictates that £20 at point of sale doesn't buy very much,
even at Chinese labour rates.

But you have to have an open mind :-)

Generally I do, but when it comes to taking unnecessary risks with
something potentially lethal for the sake of saving a few pounds, I'm
afraid I don't.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl