Mary Fisher

Default Different honeys

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:15:39 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

In this case we're talking about honeybees, not just any old insect,

Maybe we should start a "Honey, not for us", thread to provide some
balance for the "any old insects" you harshly discount?

I'm sorry if it came across as harsh, it wasn't intended to be so. I'm
fascinated by all insects, I just happen to know more about social ones than
others. There are far, far, more of those others than social ones.

I mean, what about the bee's less 'goody goody' brother, the wasp?

If you mean the social wasps - the yellow and black striped ones - they are
wonderful creatures, more intelligent and evolutionary advanced than any
kind of bee. They also have a fascinating natural history, do a huge amount
of good (in human terms) than many other insects and there's no reason for
them to be persecuted.

Incidentally, the 'brother' wasps can't sting they don't have the equipment,
I think you're worried about the females. The workers :-)

It's a delight to have a wasp nest at eye level where I can watch it and
show it to the children. On the rare occasion I've not been able to persuade
someone to keep a wasps' nest I've brought it home, put it in the deep
freeze to kill the inhabitants humanely and later carefully cut it apart to
show the wonderful structure to people.

Mary