HeatMan

"Joe S" wrote in message
news:wEg0e.8313$191.1480@trnddc02...
Doug Kanter wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message
news:LNf0e.1054$AN1.206@fed1read03...

"HeatMan" wrote

I'll admit, back when I was starting out, I cooked a couple of copper
solder
joints. No amount of sanding and fluxing would bring one of those

back,
so
I had to add a coupling

Soldering copper pipe is SOOOOOOO easy once you get the hang of it. But

would say the most common mistakes are too much heat, poor cleaning, and
no flux.

It is a breeze with good cleaning, a little flux, and the right amount

of
heat. What a lot of people do is put the heat in the wrong place. Heat

little away from the joint so that you heat up the pipe, and let the
solder flow and be "sucked into" the joint.

Not rocket surgery, but a little tricky.

Steve

Sounds exactly the same as soldering wires & circuit boards properly.

Except ALOT easier and more forgiving than circuit boards. After you do
5 right, you'll know how easy it is.

I also recommend the wipe with a damp rag while the solder is still
molten....it gets rid of globs and looks SO professional.

I wear a pair of inexpensive cotton jersey gloves and wipe with them. As
long as I pay attention to the condition of the glove, I don't get burned
and the joints look good.