BigWallop

Default cutting a hole in a cast iron soil pipe

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi

In order to plumb-in a washing machine, I need to connect to the old cast
iron soil pipe to carry away the waste. (The pipe is just over 4 1/4"
diameter.)

Can anyone recommend a good way to cut the hole in the pipe, to connect a
boss ?

I've seen an old post where someone recommended drilling a ring of

closely
spaced holes and then joining the holes so the disc can be removed. But I
don't see how you'd be able to drill the holes closest to the wall.

Whatever the method, I don't want to risk cracking the pipe - presumably

old
cast iron is fairly brittle.

Many thanks

Steve

If you can get hold of a fine toothed hole saw, one which looks like a
hacksaw blade, of the size you need it will make life a bit easier. But no
matter what method you are thinking of using, you'll need some kind of
cooling liquid squirted on the point you're drilling to save the drill bit
and to reduce the possibility of the pipe heating around the drill point and
cracking.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com