Ed Huntress

By the time I was in the shop, carbon tet was not being used. They used
1,1,1, trichloroethane (Chlorothene) instead. It's the same stuff that
used to be found in Tap Magic and other brands of ferrous tapping

solutions,
as you likely know.

Yeah, I still have a can of it.

Using it also is a good way to kill yourself.

That's a little extreme if you're talking about Chlorothene. No one died,
and as far as I know, no one lost their health. Well over 100 machinists
worked at the facility. I fully agree with carbon tet.

I was talking about carbon tetrachloride. When I was a kid we bought it at
the pharmacy, as a component for our homemade dry-fly dope (carbon tet, and
paraffin wax dissolved in it until no more will dissolve). I wonder how much
of it went up my snoot over the years.

--
Ed Huntress

So, nobody talks about it
today. In fact, I won't talk about it any longer. Don't do it, and

you're
on
your own.

They're still talking about Chlorothene, so much so that pints of old
formula Tap Magic are selling for $50. It's worth every penny if you're
tapping difficult material.

Harold