Jeff Wisnia

Jag Man wrote:
In spite of all my calculations the Kohler nipple for the hand held
shower elbow
does not stick out far enough. Kohler specifies 9/16", and it wound up
be 3/8". The current nipple is 3", and the next size is 3 1/2" which
is way too
long. I think the reason is the cultured marble guy was a
a bit too generous with the mastic goop, as I did very careful
measurements
and shimmed it perfectly for the maximum thickness the marble plus
mastic
was supposed to be. Be that as it may, the question now is what to do
about it.

Here are the options I know of so far:

1. The flanged elbow is mounted to a 1"x4" cross piece with screws
that I can
get to through the hole in the marble. I could break through the wall
from the other
side to allow sliding a thicker shim behind the elbow. Other than the
work of
breaking and repairing plaster, the only downside is that the nipple
would assume
a slight downward tilt.

2. Make up a nipple with two male adapters and a short length of 1/2"
hard copper
tubing. I've watched the plumbers do the soldering, but never done it
myself. Looks easy.
Downside is possibly breaking the solder joint while tightening. I've
no idea how
strong these soldered joints are in twisting.

Which options is best? Anything I've missed?

TIA

Ed

If you are in Red Sox Nation I'd be happy to loan you the use of my 1/2"
NPT die and die stock so you could shorten a standard nipple and
rethread it.

You sound like a perfectionist and there's nothing wrong with that if
feel good doing things "just right".

Email me if I can help.

Jeff

--