Rob Mitchell

Rich Shepard wrote:
I am building a router table which will use the Porter-Cable 690 1.75hp
variable speed router, and I am pondering the wisdom of using a lift rather
than attaching the fixed base to the table insert. While I have read all
about the advantages of swapping bits from above the table, and changing
depth settings easily and precisely from above, I still wonder if these are
really issues for the occasional furniture builder that I am. If it matters,
I'm considering the Rousseau lift because it seems to have all the features
and capabilities that they all do, but at the lowest cost I've found on the
web.

It would help me quite a lot to learn of your experiences with lifts in a
non-production setting. Opinions and thoughts, both pro and con, are greatly
appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rich

I have the Jessem lift with the 690. Works great (but I had some early
quality problems with the lift and had to return it twice)

I actually find changing bits takes *MORE* time than before, when I
could remove the insert from the table, remove the motor, change bit,
re-insert. Cranking is kind of slow.

The real beauty is the accuracy and repeatability. The 690 adjustment
mechanism (at least on my 10 year old one) isn't so good. For
dovetailing drawers for instance, I know that I need 7 full turns +
1/128" for bit depth. I just wish the adjustment openin was NOT on the
top surface of the table, but on the front.

I also agree with another poster that for the cost of router, table,
lift you could buy a low cost shaper with more power, accuracy,
stability, flexibility and an adapter collar for using your existing
router bits. I'd probably consider that before buying another TS
mounted router.

Rob