Gunner

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:36:45 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Uwe" wrote in message

I have two questions regarding cutting fluid, I just used a fair amount
for
a cut off operation and was amazed by its effectiveness, but it wasn't
biodiesel, it was some tapmatic product.

First how does it do it, I mean what is the mechanism by which cutting

is
soo obviously improved?

Second, what does it do to me. I am not supposed to breathe the fumes

and
avoid contact with my hands while, in reality I breathe nothing but and

am
practically swimming in it.

How long do I have to live??

Uwe

Chuckle!

I'm not sure I can provide the proper reasons cutting fluids works as

they
do aside from reducing friction and cooling, but as far as how long you

have
to live, I'd say you have little about which to be concerned.

I started in the trade back in '57. It was common practice to add

(gallons
of) 1,1,1,
trichlorothene to the oil in lathes to improve machining. You'd have it

on
you day in and day out.

I'm not suggesting it was anything good, but no one that I know has

suffered
anything obvious from the experience. That isn't true of many solvents,
however.

Avoid breathing the fumes as much as possible, and keep the stuff off

your
hands and arms, but don't lose sleep if you happen to get the occasional
sniff or splash. You should live to be an old Uwe.

Harold

Thanks, you made my day

Uwe

Harold is onto something that's only talked about in hushed tones today.
Trichlor and other potent solvents have been used for cutting fluids under
severe conditions, but not many people are alive to talk about it. g

When Dr. Eugene Merchant was doing his research to quantify the
metal-cutting process, back in the 1950s, he used carbon tetrachloride in
many of his experiments examining the microscopic phenomena involved in
peeling and shearing metal chips away from the parent metal. As most old
machinists knew in those days, it was the ultimate cutting fluid. I have
used it a couple of times for difficult hand-tapping jobs. Somehow it gets
into the cleavage zone and cuts the forces down to something like half of
normal, not to mention giving a superb finish.

Using it also is a good way to kill yourself. So, nobody talks about it
today. In fact, I won't talk about it any longer. Don't do it, and you're on
your own.

If you want to know more about the phenomenon of cutting metal, look up Gene
Merchant's work. His ultra-high-speed machining experiments were really
interesting: he shot a .30 cal. rifle bullet across a cutting tool. He
learned that, above 10,000 sfm and continuing upward from there, cutting
forces actually go *down*.

I still have some tapping fluids that contain Tri-clor.

Very old, but still work very well. Or so they say.

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael