Philip Stokes

Default Your thoughts on build standard of 1950s council houses

Hello Martin Angove, in message
on Sun, 10 Aug 2003 you wrote:

In the process of buying a 1930s/40s ex council house. Not mortgage
company involved, so we employed a "friendly" builder/NHBC inspector to
take a look around. He has suggested that the concrete floor should be
replaced, simply because "they didn't use a damp proof membrane in those
days - though it looks fine at the moment". Doesn't sound like a hugely
expensive job, but will mean (if we decide to do it) a couple of weeks
living with the parents :-/

Might be worth a localised investigation before you go to the expense of
ripping up the whole floor. I had a concrete floor replaced in my
similarly aged house after knocking two rooms into one, and finding the
floor levels were different in each room. The original floors had a
"DPM" of bitumen between the base and top screed.

OTOH, even if it has none, if it's not damp, why bother to touch it?
--
Phil