zxcvbob

Jag Man wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news:k7_%d.17057$qN3.2421@trndny01...

You go down to the maintenance department at work and tell the guys
you need a 3 1/4" (or whatever) nipple in brass. For the price
of a coffee or two they can make whatever you need.

Go to the plumbing department of the hardware store and buy a
coupling and two smaller nipples to get the combination you need..

Thanks, Edwin. Being a machine shop student in highschool and working
my way through college in tool shops, I liked your first idea! The
thought of throwing a 4" nipple in a lathe, parting off a bit, and
"single-pointing" a NPT with a bit ground to the proper angle sounds
like fun. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the equipment, and I
imagine a machine shop would charge me $50, if I could even find one
that would bother. Apparently, nipples this size are too short for
using the normal thread cutters.

Maybe I misunderstand your second suggestion, wouldn't it be
impossible to get something as short ad 3 3/16" with normal 1/2" pipe
fittings? Or, are you talking about the second idea I mentioned,
i.e., use the short section of hard thin wall copper tubing and sweat
a male adapter to NPT at each end?

Ed

Why not cut it with a hacksaw, and rethread it (by hand) with a 1/2"
pipe die? You will still have some of the original threads left to help
start the die straight, and brass is easy to cut.

It seems like you are looking for something difficult.

Best regards,
Bob