Jag Man

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news:k7_%d.17057$qN3.2421@trndny01...

You go down to the maintenance department at work and tell the guys

you need
a 3 1/4" (or whatever) nipple in brass. For the price of a coffee

or two
they can make whatever you need.

Go to the plumbing department of the hardware store and buy a

coupling and
two smaller nipples to get the combination you need..

Thanks, Edwin. Being a machine shop student in highschool and working
my way
through college in tool shops, I liked your first idea! The thought of
throwing
a 4" nipple in a lathe, parting off a bit, and "single-pointing" a NPT
with a bit
ground to the proper angle sounds like fun. Unfortunately, I don't
have access
to the equipment, and I imagine a machine shop would charge me $50,
if I could
even find one that would bother. Apparently, nipples this size are too
short for
using the normal thread cutters.

Maybe I misunderstand your second suggestion, wouldn't it be
impossible to
get something as short ad 3 3/16" with normal 1/2" pipe fittings? Or,
are you
talking about the second idea I mentioned, i.e., use the short section
of
hard thin wall copper tubing and sweat a male adapter to NPT at each
end?

Ed