steve robinson

"[news]" wrote in message
steve robinson wrote:
"Maria" wrote in message
Hi

I've just had a quote for replacement windows for a company, which
claimed that under the FENSA regulations, upstairs windows have to
have a bottom opener to allow for escape from fire.

Can anyone advise if this is true please?

Thanks.

(I've looked on the FENSA web site but can't see anything about bottom
openers for fire escape)

PS the reason I don't want a bottom opener is because I have a
kamikaze 3 year old who would simply lob himself through the opening
if he had half a chance!

Load of twaddle , the opening window can hinge from any point you wish
as
long as it meets the required opening sizes for escape.

not true, either in a practical sense or a legal one.

wrong as long as the window sash opens in such a manner as to allow egress
meets the required opening size for a fire escapeing window it can be
hinged from any suitable position the client wishes furher the window does
not nessarily require an opening sash to comply with the regulations if an
alternative escape method is available

not all upstairs windows are required to open in this manner either

no, but the regs are there to guide people like the OP who's unsure, so
from the OPs POV it would make sense for them to adhere to the regs.

never said she should not adhere to the regs

In the construction industry fensa is looked upon as a bit of a joke

*most* regulations are looked upon by the 'construction industry' as "a
bit of
a joke" and (whoodathunkit) the reason we the public have such regulations
is down to the fact that X regulation "is looked upon as a bit of a joke"

actaully most regs are well recieved in the industry , its only cowboys you
need to be protected from

like em or loathe em, regulations protect us from them (you?), geddit ?

they protect both the consumer and tradesmen gives tradesmen a base to
quote from

a money making scheme thought up by the glass and glazing federation so
the
could achieve some importance

or a way of ensuring that your average householder has correctly installed
windows that wont trap them and their kids in the event of a fire ?

but it doesnt , the companies are self regulating which has been proven
many times not to work , the quality companies required no regulation the
cowboys only obey it when fensa wish to inspect that particular job other
than that they dont give a toss

better speaking to your local building control who will give you all the
correct info

'better speak to your BCO' to advise on 'joke' regs ? talk about confused
!

well thats only to be expected from an idiot

fensa are the joke not building regs

fensa does not garentee all work meets appropriate building regulation it
only covers the installation so that the windows reach the correct u values
not any other works required such as structural work it does not cover the
quality of hte installation either . most fensa registered companies do not
have a clue about building regulations and quote them incorrectly an
alarmly amount of times

fensa is self regualting thats why its a joke

anyone can join fensa for a large fee

most window companies do not employe qualified tradesmen (carpenters /
joiners etc) to install the units instead they use semi skilled clowns who
have not served an apprentiseship and have very little knowledge of allied
trades