Harold and Susan Vordos

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:05:28 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Jaggy Taggy" wrote in message
On 3/21/05 8:15 AM, in article
, "Lloyd E.

Sponenburgh"
wrote:

Peanut oil is the basis for many water emulsion coolants.

LLoyd

"mow4212345" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen various "natural" cutting and tapping fluids such as
"tapmatic natural" which claim to be esters of some sort of

vegetable
oil. They also have a "citrus spice" scent which leads me to believe
they are either an ester of orange oil or a mix of orange oil and
biodiesel. My bedroom is right next door to my lathe so I don't

relish
the thought of regularly using sulfurized cutting oil or kerosene.

I have two questions regarding cutting fluid, I just used a fair amount

for
a cut off operation and was amazed by its effectiveness, but it wasn't
biodiesel, it was some tapmatic product.

First how does it do it, I mean what is the mechanism by which cutting

is
soo obviously improved?

Second, what does it do to me. I am not supposed to breathe the fumes

and
avoid contact with my hands while, in reality I breathe nothing but and

am
practically swimming in it.

How long do I have to live??

Uwe

Chuckle!

I'm not sure I can provide the proper reasons cutting fluids works as

they
do aside from reducing friction and cooling, but as far as how long you

have
to live, I'd say you have little about which to be concerned.

I started in the trade back in '57. It was common practice to add

(gallons
of) 1,1,1,
trichlorothene to the oil in lathes to improve machining. You'd have it

on
you day in and day out.

I'm not suggesting it was anything good, but no one that I know has

suffered
anything obvious from the experience. That isn't true of many solvents,
however.

Avoid breathing the fumes as much as possible, and keep the stuff off

your
hands and arms, but don't lose sleep if you happen to get the occasional
sniff or splash. You should live to be an old Uwe.

Harold

Could it be Harold that the reason you don't know anybody adversly
affected is because they are dead?
ERS

Dunno. I checked the obit's this morning, only to find I'm strangely
missing from the listing------

I ran an electronics connector modification job for Univac time and again.
The body of the connectors got split, machined and drilled. After
handling, the only thing that would clean them perfectly that I found was
the use of chlorothene. The parts were submersed, swished around and
quickly withdrawn and dried with a blast of air. That left them free of
finger prints and spots. Moments after contact with the chlorothene I
could taste it in my mouth, so I know it had to be absorbed to some degree
through my skin. Mind you I'm not bragging about how healthy I am, but I
just had a physical, and at this point in time I seem to be normal. I
haven't used the solvent in that fashion since '83, but prior to that, I was
exposed to it fairly regularly. None of my peers have died that had
similar experiences, nor do I know of any of them that have had any health
issues aside from one, who had kidney failure (and diabetes). He is doing
well with his second kidney transplant. First one didn't work.

As I said, I don't think I'd lose any sleep if exposed to the things we use
in the shop, but I'd certainly avoid any unnecessary contact.

Talk about taking risk------how many people worry about being exposed to
solvents, all the while reaching for their cigarette?

Harold