Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Yes, exactly that. This house has wallplates everywhere and it's lsited
so the LBO doesn't approve of drilling a 20mm hole through a 300 year
old oak beam in order to lay in pipe. So any vertical riser has to have
a slight offset to get it around the timber. I've got good at it now and
can turn out matched pairs of tube that look good.

Some say heating the pipe to anneal it first works with modern tube.
I've not tried it.

Me neither, fortunately I'm not trying for a right angled bend. If I
were simply trying to save on fittings I would get a pipe bender, but
IMO the large radius of the curve makes tubes bent in a bender unsightly
if used where they can be seen.

I'd sort of thought the radius of the bend a pipe bender makes is about
the tightest that is safe for a pipe bent cold? And if you need tighter,
you use elbows or bends?

The great beauty of a bender, of course, is that it can be used near
anywhere in the tube. Some say you can bend a right angle in the middle of
the tube using a spring and retrieve it, but the one and only time I tried
I couldn't. ;-)

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.