Lobster

Maria wrote:

I've just had a quote for replacement windows for a company, which
claimed that under the FENSA regulations, upstairs windows have to
have a bottom opener to allow for escape from fire.

Can anyone advise if this is true please?

They certainly now need to open wide enough to permit escape of
resident/entry of fireman in an emergency, yes - nothing specific about
a bottom opener though. There are other stipulations, and the rules are
very specific - see the building regulationss at
http://tinyurl.com/4yf4f (or
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...reg_br1015.pdf)

PS the reason I don't want a bottom opener is because I have a
kamikaze 3 year old who would simply lob himself through the opening
if he had half a chance!

You're allowed to fit specific child safety locks to stop this
happening! There are also special hinges with over-ridable stays which
do the job.

David