Bud

I think automatic transmission fluid is not oil.
Bud--

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Ron wrote:

George, "Hunter Original" ceiling fans have a reservoir that holds 1oz
of oil that lubricates the bearings and shaft. 1oz for THREE dollars!
Now you see why I'm looking for alternatives. I got a GREAT deal on the
fans at an estate sale but had to buy mounting hardware which was a
little costly (Hunter) So if worst comes to worst I'll shell out the 21
bucks, just trying to save some money.

Wow! That much oil should last 30 years. I'm with Barry, they should
have used sealed bearings. BTW, the turbine oil is also sold as Zoom.
I'd be tempted to use automatic transmission fluid which is likely
superior to the Hunter oil. No oil is worth $21 for 3 oz, even sperm
whale oil.