Ron

Default SAE 10 Wt ND Oil?

I have 7 "Hunter Original" ceiling fans that i need oil for. The "fan"
oil is 3 dollars a tube, good for one fan.(At Home Depot)

It's just SAE 10 Wt Non Detergent oil but I can't seem to find any in
quantity so I don't have to pay the outrageous price of 3 dollars a
tube.

I was thinking about "3 in 1 oil" but it doesn't say what Wt it is or if
it's ND.

I was also thinking about pneumatic tool oil. Does anyone have any idea
what wt it is and if it's ND?

Maybe even an online fan site that sells it in quantity for a low price.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

m Ransley

Whatever you put in your car will be fine

David Martel

John,

According to their web site 3 in 1 multipurpose oil is 17 wt. and 3 in 1
motor oil is 20 wt. they are both non-detergent. See
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/3in1_faqs.html

Dave M.

TURTLE

"Ron" wrote in message
I have 7 "Hunter Original" ceiling fans that i need oil for. The "fan"
oil is 3 dollars a tube, good for one fan.(At Home Depot)

It's just SAE 10 Wt Non Detergent oil but I can't seem to find any in
quantity so I don't have to pay the outrageous price of 3 dollars a
tube.

I was thinking about "3 in 1 oil" but it doesn't say what Wt it is or if
it's ND.

I was also thinking about pneumatic tool oil. Does anyone have any idea
what wt it is and if it's ND?

Maybe even an online fan site that sells it in quantity for a low price.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

This is Turtle.

Most all motor manufactor state that you should use 20 wt. SAE Non-detergent
standard motor oil in most all motors unless state other wise. I use 30 wt. SAE
Non-detergent standard motor oil to oil motor. They sell 30 wt. non-detergent
motor oil at most all auto parts houses or I think they sell it at Walmarts ,
too. Also get you a small flex hose oil gun too and keep it handy for other
stuff.

I'm Speaking of standard auto non-detergent motor oil for autos at about a $1.00
something a Qt. . I use the 30 wt. because it is hard to find the 20 wt. in
motor oil form everywhere. I think the 10 wt. oil is not thick enough to stay in
the bearing and bearing packing. Also it makes you buy the 10 wt. oil from
Hunter because it is very hard to find 10 wt. oil anywhere.

TURTLE

Hi, Ron.

The detergency is a "red herring"- it certainly can't cause problems to
keep submicroscopic debris in suspension, whether or not you're going
to change the oil. Any SAE 10 vi (viscosity index) oil with an API
(American Petroleum Institute) grade on the label should be way more
than you need. Ditto 20 vi, really. These things don't turn at 10k
rpm. :')

This all begs the question "why doesn't mfg. use proper sealed
roller-bearings?"

George E. Cawthon

Ron wrote:
I have 7 "Hunter Original" ceiling fans that i need oil for. The "fan"
oil is 3 dollars a tube, good for one fan.(At Home Depot)

It's just SAE 10 Wt Non Detergent oil but I can't seem to find any in
quantity so I don't have to pay the outrageous price of 3 dollars a
tube.

I was thinking about "3 in 1 oil" but it doesn't say what Wt it is or if
it's ND.

I was also thinking about pneumatic tool oil. Does anyone have any idea
what wt it is and if it's ND?

Maybe even an online fan site that sells it in quantity for a low price.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

A tube of oil for one fan? What you want is often
called Turbine oil, which is good for high
temperatures, low viscosity, and does not get
gummy, made for motors. Appliance manufactures
put their own brand name on it; one bottle I have
says "Maytag." Also sold as "Spout" or something
"..out." I've seen this stuff in 2-3 ounce
quantities in various places including Walmart.
(about $4) Can't imagine why you want much. You
only use 2-4 drops per electric motor of any type.
I've been using out of a 3 ounce bottle for
various things including motors and other bearings
for 30 years.

Don't use 3 in 1, it will get gummy. You are
probably right in suggesting pneumatic tool oil.
Course, if you want to go really high class, get
some clock oil which is probably the same as
Turbine oil.
ChairMan

In ,
Ron spewed forth and said:
I have 7 "Hunter Original" ceiling fans that i need oil for.
The "fan" oil is 3 dollars a tube, good for one fan.(At Home
Depot)

It's just SAE 10 Wt Non Detergent oil but I can't seem to find
any in quantity so I don't have to pay the outrageous price of
3 dollars a tube.

I was thinking about "3 in 1 oil" but it doesn't say what Wt
it is or if it's ND.

I was also thinking about pneumatic tool oil. Does anyone have
any idea what wt it is and if it's ND?

Maybe even an online fan site that sells it in quantity for a
low price.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Try a sewing shop. Most sewing machine oils are ND 10wt

Ron

George, "Hunter Original" ceiling fans have a reservoir that holds 1oz
of oil that lubricates the bearings and shaft. 1oz for THREE dollars!

Now you see why I'm looking for alternatives. I got a GREAT deal on the
fans at an estate sale but had to buy mounting hardware which was a
little costly (Hunter) So if worst comes to worst I'll shell out the 21
bucks, just trying to save some money.

George E. Cawthon

Ron wrote:
George, "Hunter Original" ceiling fans have a reservoir that holds 1oz
of oil that lubricates the bearings and shaft. 1oz for THREE dollars!

Now you see why I'm looking for alternatives. I got a GREAT deal on the
fans at an estate sale but had to buy mounting hardware which was a
little costly (Hunter) So if worst comes to worst I'll shell out the 21
bucks, just trying to save some money.

Wow! That much oil should last 30 years. I'm
with Barry, they should have used sealed
bearings. BTW, the turbine oil is also sold as
Zoom. I'd be tempted to use automatic
transmission fluid which is likely superior to the
Hunter oil. No oil is worth $21 for 3 oz, even
sperm whale oil.
MUADIB®

Lightweight Mobil1 would work fine also.
Synthetics are extremely thin and watery and will likley last a very
long time under the environment of a cieling fan motor. I know about
the Hunter fan Reservoir too. I think it works well, and is quite
sufficient for the motor designs of their times.

Give the Mobil1 a try. It will certainly not hurt the motor anyway.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Duane Bozarth

Top posting repaired...

Bud wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Ron wrote:

....No oil is worth $21 for 3 oz, even sperm whale oil.

I suppose the whale may have a differing view on that one...

I think automatic transmission fluid is not oil.

It's a refined petroleum product w/ some specific additives for the
purpose. Very much similar to a light weight oi.

George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Top posting repaired...

Bud wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Ron wrote:

....No oil is worth $21 for 3 oz, even sperm whale oil.

I suppose the whale may have a differing view on that one...

I think automatic transmission fluid is not oil.

It's a refined petroleum product w/ some specific additives for the
purpose. Very much similar to a light weight oi.

I think the whale would agree with me, since you
have to render the fat to get the oil; don't think
whales much like rendering.

Anyway, not much sperm oil around. Illegal to
collect now? Lots of muzzleloaders swore by it,
but I haven't kept up for many years now.
Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

....No oil is worth $21 for 3 oz, even sperm whale oil.

I suppose the whale may have a differing view on that one...

I think the whale would agree with me, since you
have to render the fat to get the oil; don't think
whales much like rendering.

Anyway, not much sperm oil around. Illegal to
collect now? Lots of muzzleloaders swore by it,
but I haven't kept up for many years now.

I meant it in the sense that any price for whale oil would be too
cheap from the whale's perspective....sorta' a backwards agreement....

Whaling is outlawed afaik -- last I knew I believe the Japanese were the
last commercial whalers but I'm not sure whether they've finally ceased
or not...I presume they have since haven't heard anything about if for
quite some time now.
Posted to alt.home.repair
pat pat is offline

replying to Ron, pat wrote:
ron you can get sae 10 weight look into water windmill oil to find it buy the
quarts

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...il-598502-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ron, Kath wrote:
I bought a quart of SAE 10W-30 at Ace Hardware. It is their brand motor oil
for all seasons. They told me it is non-detergent. I ran it in my fans all
summer with no problem. I hope this is OK Im starting to second-guess
myself

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...il-598502-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kath wrote:
replying to Ron, Kath wrote:
I bought a quart of SAE 10W-30 at Ace Hardware. It is their brand
motor oil
for all seasons. They told me it is non-detergent. I ran it in my fans
all
summer with no problem. I hope this is OK Im starting to second-guess
myself

I don't think a fan runs as "dirty" as a car, so I think you'll be
fine. The idea of the detergent is to remove sludge, I think. Of
course, I don't have a fan that you have to add oil to. Anyway, don't
lose any sleep over it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 15:44:03 GMT, Kath
m wrote:

replying to Ron, Kath wrote:
I bought a quart of SAE 10W-30 at Ace Hardware. It is their brand motor oil
for all seasons. They told me it is non-detergent. I ran it in my fans all
summer with no problem. I hope this is OK Im starting to second-guess
myself

Why would anyone think "10w-30 motor oil" was non detergent unless it
specifically said so (and I only see than in straight 30w). If it has
an API rating like "SN", the current standard, it certainly is
detergent oil.
For just oiling a fan I am not sure it is really important anyway. A
lot depends on what kind of fan we are talking about tho and what
bearings it uses. Are there oil cups? If these are the permanently
oiled bearings in a cheap box fan, you are just ****ing on the fire
because most types of oil will just gum them up over time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Ron, Kath wrote:
I bought a quart of SAE 10W-30 at Ace Hardware. It is their brand motor oil
for all seasons. They told me it is non-detergent. I ran it in my fans all
summer with no problem. I hope this is OK Im starting to second-guess
myself

Why would anyone think "10w-30 motor oil" was non detergent unless it
specifically said so (and I only see than in straight 30w). If it has
an API rating like "SN", the current standard, it certainly is
detergent oil.
For just oiling a fan I am not sure it is really important anyway. A
lot depends on what kind of fan we are talking about tho and what
bearings it uses. Are there oil cups? If these are the permanently
oiled bearings in a cheap box fan, you are just ****ing on the fire
because most types of oil will just gum them up over time.

+1

That 10w30 is detergent. I've never seen one that isn't and if it exists it isn't at ACE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to George E. Cawthon, Daniel Alexander wrote:
A Hunter Original has an oil Reservoir

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...il-598502-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gfretwell, NickK3 wrote:
SAE 10W is equivalent to ISO 32, and CarQuest hydraulic jack oil available at
advance auto is plain ISO 32 (10W) mineral oil

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...il-598502-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ron, Vincent F Rakstis wrote:
Reilly Auto Parts has it. You have to ask, it is kept in back, not out with
the other oils. About $4 for a quart. I use it for any light oiling jobs,
does not get sticky, looks just like sewing machine /' 3 in 1 oils.. CaptVR
Some employees are not aware, you may have to insist, they do have it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...il-598502-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/19 11:44 AM, Vincent F Rakstis wrote:
replying to Ron, Vincent F Rakstis wrote:
Reilly Auto Parts has it.Â* You have to ask, it is kept in back, not out with
the other oils.Â* About $4 for a quart.Â* I use it for any light oiling jobs,
does not get sticky, looks just like sewing machine /' 3 in 1 oils..Â* CaptVR Some employees are not aware, you may have to insist, they do have it.

I've used 5W30 synthetic in just about everything. Nothing broken yet.

Unless it's some specialty item like a vacuum pump for HVAC work or a compressor used to paint cars, I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bin Bin is offline

replying to Ron, Bin wrote:
Hey Ron ceiling fan oil should be a non detergent oil that don't gum up the
moving parts I have 30 sae, but I think it's too thin 15 to 20 won't run too
easily.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...il-598502-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 21:44:03 +0000, Bin
m wrote:

replying to Ron, Bin wrote:
Hey Ron ceiling fan oil should be a non detergent oil that don't gum up the
moving parts I have 30 sae, but I think it's too thin 15 to 20 won't run too
easily.

Mine specs SAE20
Posted to alt.home.repair

15 or 20 is thinner than 30 wt.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-09-03 6:08 p.m., trader_4 wrote:
15 or 20 is thinner than 30 wt.

no
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-09-03 6:08 p.m., trader_4 wrote:
15 or 20 is thinner than 30 wt.

no

Wrong, the higher the weight the thicker it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-09-03 6:08 p.m., trader_4 wrote:
15 or 20 is thinner than 30 wt.

no

Wrong, the higher the weight the thicker it is.

told ya , i think we only saw the answer here
Posted to alt.home.repair

3 in 1 oil in the Red bottle is detergent oil, the Blue bottle is non-detergent.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...il-598502-.htm