Harold and Susan Vordos

"Jaggy Taggy" wrote in message
On 3/21/05 8:15 AM, in article
, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

Peanut oil is the basis for many water emulsion coolants.

LLoyd

"mow4212345" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen various "natural" cutting and tapping fluids such as
"tapmatic natural" which claim to be esters of some sort of vegetable
oil. They also have a "citrus spice" scent which leads me to believe
they are either an ester of orange oil or a mix of orange oil and
biodiesel. My bedroom is right next door to my lathe so I don't relish
the thought of regularly using sulfurized cutting oil or kerosene.

I have two questions regarding cutting fluid, I just used a fair amount

for
a cut off operation and was amazed by its effectiveness, but it wasn't
biodiesel, it was some tapmatic product.

First how does it do it, I mean what is the mechanism by which cutting is
soo obviously improved?

Second, what does it do to me. I am not supposed to breathe the fumes and
avoid contact with my hands while, in reality I breathe nothing but and I

am
practically swimming in it.

How long do I have to live??

Uwe

Chuckle!

I'm not sure I can provide the proper reasons cutting fluids works as they
do aside from reducing friction and cooling, but as far as how long you have
to live, I'd say you have little about which to be concerned.

I started in the trade back in '57. It was common practice to add (gallons
of) 1,1,1,
trichlorothene to the oil in lathes to improve machining. You'd have it on
you day in and day out.

I'm not suggesting it was anything good, but no one that I know has suffered
anything obvious from the experience. That isn't true of many solvents,
however.

Avoid breathing the fumes as much as possible, and keep the stuff off your
hands and arms, but don't lose sleep if you happen to get the occasional
sniff or splash. You should live to be an old Uwe.

Harold