Set Square

Default Bolier Control Wiring Query

Matthew Humphreys wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have a Danfoss Controller (FP715) connected to a Honeywell 3 way
valve via the Danfoss wiring box.

I installed it a while back, but it is only now the days have become
warmer that I had spotted a problem.

If I, via the programmer, turn the central heating on, the rads get
hot.

If I turn the CH and hot water on, the rads get hot and the water is
heated.

Now that the warmer days are here, I only wanted the hot water heater,
with no central heating. Unfortunately both the hot water and
central heating are switched on!

This isn't really what I wanted to happen!

I have read, and re-read, the FAQ on 3 port valves, and can only
assume that I have wired it incorreclty.

Can anyone else who has a honeywell 3 port valve please confirm what
colour cable I should have where?

I have my hot feed to AB, my CH is port A, the HW is port B (is the
OK)? (As I am writing this, I think the ports should be the other way
round?)

The connections for the wiring box a

Green Earth
Blue Neutral
White CH Call for heat
Grey HW off
Orange HW on (via the cyl sat)

Does this sound correct?

From the FAQ (which makes me think I have the valve the wrong way
round).

Green/Yellow Safety Earth
Brown Not used.
Orange Go fully to 'B' when live.
Grey Live when at 'AB' or 'B'
White Go to 'AB' or 'B'.

If I have the valve the wrong way round, can I just swap the Grey and
white connections over?

Many thanks for your help, and apologies for my ramblings!

Matthew

Make sure that the layout and wiring is as per the Y-plan details given in
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm

I think A is ok for heating and B for hot water - check the Honeywell
references which someone else has given.

If you *do* get them the wrong way round, you can't easily correct it with a
simple wiring change. This is because - when installed correctly - the hot
water wiring requires an ON *and* OFF signal from the programmer, and
requires the cylinder stat to have change-over (as opposed to just on/off)
contacts. If you swap this round, the heating would need a "not required"
signal from the programmer, and the room stat would have to be the
change-over sort. It also means that the valve actuator would be consuming
power rather than sitting at its home position throughout the summer when
only hot water is required.

Under these circumstances, it is far better to turn the valve round - even
though it means partially draining the system.
--
Cheers,
Set Square