Mich

Default Your thoughts on build standard of 1950s council houses

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:01:59 +0100, Mark
wrote:

Anyone had a buyers survey done where the carpets/flooring were even
touched nevermind lifted?

When my parents sold their '30s semi, the survey suggested that there
was rot in the downstairs floorboards. Except that it was a solid
concrete floor...

Tell me about it!
I bought a house and the surveyor said that
a) it had mains drainage and gas.

The top of the septic tank was clearly visible in the garden and there is
no gas within ten miles of here!

b) he said it was built in the 1930's.
It was built in 1960 ( and we had all the planning apps and plans to prove
it)

c) he said an extension at the far end was wood framed and 1980's.
It was early 1970's and was brick and block construction.

It fact there was so little he got right I wondered if he had actually
surveyed the right house!.

The same company surveyed my 1950's ex council property too.
Similar catalogue of mistakes .

I had a b*gger of a job selling the house btw. It was poured concrete and
built like the proverbial ( rock hard) but because it was "non traditional
build" buyers had difficulty getting mortgages.
That coupled with the surveyors report which said wrongly that it had a
corroded frame. There was nothing wrong with the "frame" and to boot there
wasnt any evidence of there being anything wrong with its structure either!

Be aware.