WillR

Arch wrote:
Were I a solipsist, No one else could exist to turn a burl which you
can't imagine.

Reminds me of those infinite mirror painting.... SMOKE ALERT while brain
fizzes...

This is getting out of hand and I've gotten way over my head,

I doubt it! (But if so I can send you a book on "swimming in deep water".)

...so back to
less topical queries: why with what they cost, do _we_ have to grind
tool shank edges and put hard steel on tool rests?

To save a few hundred bucks I will happily take the two minutes per tool
to round the skew edges etc... So my tool rest won't get marked.

Saw the tip here (or on one of the good sites by one of the locals here)
-- re-read my turning books. Said Duh! -- then fixed the tools. LOL

Would of course rather just buy high end tools -- but can't do that all
the time.

Soon though...

Is that more practical?

Turn to Safety, Arch