WillR

Hal:

wrote:
WillR wrote:
snip Perhaps the burl is best uncut -- there it has the most
potential -- and our work devalues it. :-)
snip

Interesting. IIRC, the Tau speaks of "The Uncarved Block" as
approaching perfection, if not actually *being* perfect, because therin
lies *all* the potential.

Assuming there is only possibility that would be worth achieving -- if
only we could see it. But what if there were many? How are we to know
which one we have seen? That's the trouble with (advantage of) being a
philosopher -- you can see the tree of possibilities... But then you
need the skill to realize the possibilities (possibility) seen --
troubling in some ways.

I have seen the work of at least one turner who understands this
instinctively I am sure -- judging by the work I viewed... And judging
by the web sites viewed, many turners in their group have surely
achieved this perfection in some or much of their work.

Note: It wasn't my intention to turn this into a religious thread!

Hal

Had to think about this one... :-)

Hadn't really thought about the Tau -- just a couple of off the cuff
comments. Next time I will quote Sun Tzu -- as surely we all feel it is
a battle at one time or another. :-)

Anyone who carves or turns must have these very thoughts at times....
Not sure that you could avoid it.

If you are not sure that this could be so... Then think about this...

What if you could have all the time and money you wanted -- but you
could only have Poplar (or Basswood) blanks to turn -- no knots -- only
clear grain. Would you be happy? Would it limit your artistic abilities?
Could you deal with the subtleties and still find satisfaction?
Minimalists need not answer...

What type of turner or carver are you? Do you "reveal the hidden form"?
Do you imagine a possibility and find the wood with the right character
to achieve your goal? Or do you "switch-hit" and flow with what
confronts you of the two previous possibilities? I won't even ask if you
impose your will on a piece of wood --as only us newbies would make that
error in judgment -- usually through inexperience. :-)

If a tree trunk with burled sections fell in the forest and there
existed no one to turn it -- would it be a burl? (Solipsists only to
comment please!)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek