LL

No matter what the load, the protection circuit would not have failed
due to the load because it is in electrical parallel (with the load)

The Wavetracker is/was unique for a consumer surge protection device
in that in is uses some very fast response components (zener diode,
gas tube) and the usual MOVs as well as chokes for each outlet.

These devices do shunt the spike to ground. Go large enough with a
spike and they will fail the component - then the next component in
line takes up the slack. For my device the first and fastest item in
line (zener diode) is the one that failed.

The "protection" you speak of other devices (computers, TVs, etc.) is
the transformer in it's power supply. Do you really want a big spike
to get in your expensive electronics?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:59:05 -0500, w_tom wrote:

"The surge protector sacrificed itself to save the
electronics" is a classic myth. First, any surge protectors
that fails due to a transient is grossly undersized and
totally ineffective. Effective protectors SHUNT (don't stop,
block, or absorb) the transient - and remain functional.

Second, to promote the myth, many *feel* the protector sits
between electronics and the incoming transient. Mechanically
- yes. Electrically the protector and electronics are
confronted by the transient simultaneously. They connect in
parallel. Protector connects to AC mains just like another
light bulb. Again, they are called shunt mode devices. To
sit between transient and electronics, it must be a series
mode device.

Third, so what really happened? Protector was so grossly
undersized as to be damaged by a transient that could not
overwhelm protection inside the adjacent electronics.
Electronics contain internal protection. But the protector
can be undersized and damaged. Then the naive recommend more
of these damaged protectors. If the protector was properly
sized, then the human would never even know a transient
existed.

Again, electronics already contain effective protection.
But that protection assumes destructive transients are earthed
to not overwhelm electronics' internal protection. It is
called 'whole house' protection - as was installed even 70
years ago. So inexpensive and so reliable that your incoming
phone lines has one installed, for free, by the telco.

Unfortunately, we still build new buildings as if the
transistor did not exist. Then we let hearsay speculation
claim "the surge protector sacrificed itself to ...". In
reality, an effective, properly sized, and properly earthed
'whole house' protector makes that transient insignificant.
An effective protector earths the destructive transient,
remains functional, and leaves the human completely unaware
that a transient even occurred. That is the difference
between grossly overpriced, undersized, and ineffective
plug-in protectors. No earth ground means no effective
protection.

Just another reason to grossly undersize the protector. The
naive will then recommend and buy more of these $15 and $50
protectors. Effective 'whole house' protector costs about $1
per protected appliance.

BTW, SL Waber once sold the same plug-in protectors sold by
Tripplite, APC, etc. But SL Waber was also honest. This
statement was on SL Waber EP63 Power Master protectors:
This Surge suppressor is not a lightning arrestor and may
not protect against lightning induced voltage surges.

Why would a name like Tripplite or Belkin make the same
circuit any more effective? It always comes back to the
bottom line: a protector is only as effective as its earth
ground. No earth ground means no effective protection. If
not selling effective protectors, then grossly under sizing a
protector means increased profits due to less costs and
sales. The 'sacrificial protector' is another myth that sells
ineffective protectors.

LL wrote:
On 13 Mar 2005 12:18:26 -0800, wrote:
Tony - I sold electrical products for over 40 years and was around for
the introduction of surge surpression. Basically a surge surpressor is
an insurance policy for electronics. You spend a small amount once and
protect an expensive piece of equipment. ALWAYS WORTH THE COST!

Just MHO,

Sadly true

Around a year ago the audible alarm in my SL Waber "wavetracker" began
to scream. A surge had come through frying a resistor and the zener
diode contained within, but the connected electronics didn't suffer at
all. My surge device died that the computer may live.

So yes, surge protection devices, the good ones at least, are worth
every penny you'll spend on it.

BTW, I got my Wavetracker repaired since Tripp Lite bought the Waber
company and immediately ceased production of what I think is one of
the best devices ever made for the task.