Joe Fleming

I have talked to a few professionals about why they use the tools they
do. My impression is that not too many go fo the "new" tools on the
block, but stick with tried and true. Their innovations are generally
(but not always) modifications on existing tools.

When I have had a chance to talk to tool vendors, they have often
seemed frustrated that they can't get the big names to try and/or adopt
their tools. Consequently, these tools often do not get the
endorsements that tool vendors would like.

I had a lengthy conversion once with Mike Mahoney about hollowing
tools. Mike still uses Stewart or Stewart-like armbrace tools to
hollow his vessels. When I asked about cutting tools like Exocet (I'm
an Exocet fan), Mikes response was that for his production environment,
speed is everything and nothing he has found beats what he uses.

This leads to the dilemma of how a tool manufacturer gets to the masses
with their tools. One solution is the "every man" turner, Lyn
Mangiameli. Lyn is a prolific writer and is constantly evaluating
tools, accessories, etc. What does mean? Tool makers listen to him
and seek out his counsel. So, Lyn, representing "every turner", does
make a difference on our behalf.

Can the rest of us make a difference collectively or as individuals? I
think the answer is YES. This group spawned the very popular "World of
Woodturners" website as a method for us to post photos of our work. It
has become a turning force of its own renown and now boasts a logo
shirt (which many of us will wear to the KC AAW symposium as an
identifier). Lyn found his voice here first. Many new, "name" turners
found their early fame here too, such as Art Liestman and Andi Wolfe.
Did we make them the great turners they are? Maybe not, but I'll bet
they would give some attribution to the friendships and information
they have found here as part of their development.

Every time we write a book review or comment on a tool, we influence
buying decisions. We encourage and guide the new turners who seek our
advice on tools, lathes, wood and finishes. We promote good and bad
experiences with demonstrators.

Impotence, Arch? No way. Nice candlestick.

Joe Fleming - San Diego